platform, a cover, a few cushions on top…and, in designer’s words, the sofa is finished. We went up close to see how one of the most versatile modern living room seating systems was born from such inspiration.
- What it is Dock is a modular seating system presented in 2019 by B&B Italia.
- What makes it special What surprises us is its incredible ability to be reconfigured. There are 84 (!) pieces which can give birth to classic raised sofas or Eastern-influenced ones placed directly on the ground. The possibilities are endless: from the simplest compositions to more complex combinations. As its famous designer put it, “Dock is a super-system.”
- How it is made The sofas start and are created from a “dock”, a covered or wooden platform where other elements can be placed: seat cushions, back and armrests in various depths and paddings to fit seating preferences. We can also attach glass or wooden side tables directly to the platform with a small steel bar. The compositions can be double-sided, corner units or chaise-lounges to be positioned against the wall or in the center of the room.
- Whose idea it is Dock is a project by award-winning architect and designer Piero Lissoni, artistic director for some the most renowned designer furniture brands, and one of the leading figures on the international scene. In his elegant and understated work Lissoni marries perfection in detail to design functionality. With the Dock system for B&B Italia he affirms his concept of modern style that knows how to be both light and rigorous.
- We chose it because… Dock is a stopover, a harbor where we can comfortably sit and rest in the anticipation of setting sail towards new experiences. We can lie close to the ground with just a backrest and a little table, a good book or glass of wine awaiting us; or stay seated, surrounded by cushions and protected by large armrests…a fantastic dilemma in 84 comfortable varieties.