his summer you could certainly travel to the mountains and go for quiet walks surrounded by nature or alternatively, visit extraordinary cities, near or far, to explore their wonderful treasures. Although, when your eye catches a large, comfy and chic sunbed…it’s practically impossible to resist to the temptation to enjoy a week’s holiday relaxing at the beach or by the poolside…
- What is it Hugo, the sunbed. It’s the 2019 addition to the Hugo series for outdoors that includes sofas, armchairs and coffee tables, introduced by Unopiù last year.
- What is special It takes centre stage thanks to its bold aesthetic. With unquestionable elegance, the curved silhouette of its steel frame is distinctively inspired by the extraordinary pieces designed by Milo Baughman, one of the top American designers of the early fifties that are still relevant today.
- How is it made The Hugo sunbed results from joining several materials expertly, chosen as they resist the atmospheric agents. The structure is in stainless steel with inserts in teak, similarly to the sofas and the armchairs of the collection. The seat is made of a synthetic technical fabric in hemp-white, an elastic fibre that resists to mechanical stress as well the atmospheric agents. Made with high-frequency welding, the result is a type of fabric that’s soft and sturdy at the same time, for your optimal comfort. The cushion has removable cover. A generous size, the bed is 196 cm long and 90 cm wide.
- Who is it by Hugo is designed by the Australian landscape architect Jamie Durie, who runs a multidisciplinary practice started in 1998 with offices in Sydney and Los Angeles. With a process termed as “transterior”, his projects seamlessly blend interiors with exteriors, a recurring theme in this furniture designs too as they are equally suitable for indoors and outdoors. Well-known on the international scene also for having taken part at a number of different TV programs, Jamie Durie has won several prizes and design awards. Subsequently to the Camp Cot sunbed (2017), Hugo is his second project for Unopiù.
- We have chosen it because… The Hugo sunbed is truly first-rate as it differs in shape, materials and finishes from the standard. It’s full of personality and character as well as the same young, sophisticated style of a modern design icon. And honestly, just by looking at it, we have the distinct feeling that we will never leave this sunbed throughout summer.