conic as well as glamorous, in black and white; this is LC2’s new special edition, the much celebrated armchair by Cassina. To mark the presentation of the book Cassina as seen by Karl (published by Gerhard Steidl) – and for this year only – LC2 is available in an elegant optical-patterned upholstery. And it’s undoubtedly at the top of our wish list for 2019!
- What is it LC2 by Cassina, the iconic cubic armchair.
- What is special It’s a timeless piece as well as an undisputed design icon. Designed in 1928 by Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret and Charlotte Perriand, it was exhibited at the Salon d’Automne in Paris in 1929 and it was instantly elected as the archetype of the “modern” armchair. Re-edited by Cassina and manufactured with exclusive rights from 1965, LC2 now available in a new special version in white and black, all the more avant-garde, to mark the launch of the book Cassina as seen by Karl.
- How is it made Similarly to a cage, the frame in chrome steel holds in the place the loose cushions in leather. LC2 is part of the collection I Maestri di Cassina that includes re-editions by the top designers of the twentieth century. The special edition in black and white is available for 2019 only.
- Who is it by Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret and Charlotte Perriand. Architects as well as cousins, the first two worked together from 1922 to 1927 and decided to open a design studio with Charlotte Perried, who at the time was a promising young architect. Their partnership continued until 1937 and was extremely fruitful, especially as regards to cutting edge furniture. The three architects in fact, were successful in finding a solution for “l’équipement d’intérieur de l’habitation”.
- We have chosen it because… An armchair such as this needs no introductions. A true icon of inestimable beauty, it’s always a pleasure to be celebrate LC2 whether it’s in the original version or in this special edition that we have already placed at the top of our wish-list for 2019.