offee table, tray and footstool; this is Mate by De Padova. Mate is a great asset in the bedroom, because it replaces a conventional bedside table. It serves us breakfast in bed and comes with us to the bedroom, so we can put our feet up in front of the telly.
- What is it? Mate by De Padova is a tray/ coffee table.
- What is special about it? It wasn’t exactly designed yesterday (it’s almost 25 years old), yet this piece is still fresh and in tune with the times we live in. It’s a functional bedside table in the bedroom, it becomes a tray if we want to have breakfast in bed and if we want to watch telly (this lightweight piece folds away) it becomes the perfect footstool. What’s more versatile and fresh than Mate.
- How is it made? Lightweight foldable frame in solid beech wood, straps in blue cotton which support a removable tray. Two different sizes available, as well as the Mini Mate version (an elongated version with a narrow base).
- Who is it by? Iconic Italian architect and designer Achille Castiglioni (1918-2002) is one of movers and shakers of twentieth century design (in 1956 he set up ADI and throughout his career he won a staggering 9 Compasso d’Oro awards). Due to an extraordinary vision and a desire to satisfy needs, Achille Castiglioni revolutionized conventional ways of living. His designs are brilliant ideas, innovative pieces which outlive fads and fashions.
- We have chosen it because… Mate by De Padova is simple, discreet, lightweight and has a Scandinavian vibe which never goes out of style. And even if time has passed, Mate is still a real multi-purpose piece. In fact, it’s still so fresh and current, perfectly in tune with our modern daily life.