ust pull on the little ring and the light turns on, fades in and intensifies. What happens if you push it? Well, the light dims and once again disappears. The evolution of the classic light switch is a sliding LED bar hidden in a small stripped-down structure. It is compact, unexpected and magical.
- What it is Metrica by Martinelli Luce, the brand-new sliding and retractable lamp.
- What makes it special It is a minimalist lamp that flips traditional dimmable lighting on its head. In place of the light switch there is a sliding mechanism that lets one adjust and turn the light on and off by extracting the lamp from its base.
- How it is made It is a lamp with an LED light hidden inside the support that makes up its base. The lamp turns on by pulling on its ring and extracting it from its profile; in order to adjust the light’s intensity, just extract it until it stops (by pushing it inwards its brightness decreases until it turns off). Metrica is available in floor, table and wall versions.
- Whose idea it is Studio Habits, the industrial design studio founded in 2004 by Innocenzo Rifino and Diego Rossi in Milan. The team is made up of industrial designers, electronic and mechanical engineers, model makers, and visual and interaction designers with multidisciplinary approaches. Specialized in digital, lighting, appliance and industrial equipment design, the team has won over 100 international design awards (including the Compasso d’Oro, German Design Award and Good Design at Red Dot, just to name a few) thanks to its ability to present ever-changing functional and expressive codes.
- We chose it because… It is a project that makes us interact with light in a new way by transforming technicalities of lighting into an unexpected game with a surprising effect. It is a simple, discrete and ingenious lamp.
BROWSE THE GALLERY