his original, practical and extremely relevant project, which comes from the work of a young designer’s Master’s project at the Istituto Marangoni in Milano, immediately struck us. It perfectly responds to our new daily living necessities and allows us to naturally, quickly and efficiently purify our homes and everything that surrounds us.
- What it is Pure Light, a lamp capable of sterilizing and disinfecting objects and rooms by using UV rays.
- What makes it special It is a lamp that uses the sterilizing power of ultraviolet light and eliminates 99% of viruses and bacteria in the room and on objects it illuminates (including food)—the perfect solution, especially for this moment…
- How it is made It has a stripped-down design and uses innovative technology based on biomimetics—the discipline that studies and imitates biological and biomechanical processes in nature and living beings. The base hosts a container that sterilizes the water inside: once the container is removed, an empty part is generated that allows the use of the sterilizing UV rays on food and dishes. The lamp works also as an air purifier for the surrounding area.
- Whose idea it is Marco Ripani, the promising designer from the Istituto Marangoni, studied the research of Danish doctor, Niels Ryberg Finsen—Nobel prize winner in medicine for his discovery in 1903 on the therapeutic power of UV rays. The young designer, who comes from the Marche region in Italy, has a degree in Industrial and Environmental Design. In 2018 he received an Honorable Mention in the Targa Rodolfo Bonetto competition and won the fourth edition of the international design competition launched by the Istituto Marangoni in collaboration with Cappellini, which allowed him to receive a scholarship for a Master’s in Product & Furniture Design.
- We chose it because… Keeping the home clean is important especially now that we find ourselves inside 24/7. This lamp is exactly what is called for because, by taking advantage of a completely natural principle (the power of UV rays,) it purifies the air, disinfects objects and food and eliminates 99% of viruses and bacteria.