artell immediately makes us think of plastic. However, at this year’s edition of the Salone del Mobile, Milan, amid the latest pieces in bold colours by Kartell, there’s a striking new collection designed by Philippe Starck that makes the most of… wood.
- What is it? Woody di Kartell, is a new chair collection made of wood.
- What’s special about it? It’s made of wood, rather an unusual material for a company that has always ruled the world of plastic. Far from being a whim, this is a choice that brings forward a desire for innovation: thanks to a special patent, the wood is machined with a mould that can extend the limit of curvature of the wood. The result, in tune with Kartell’s style, is a collection that brings together industrial production, craftsmanship and a contemporary touch.
- How is it made? Each piece is made following a special technology that allows to create a curved shell form a mould. However, the material can only be curved once meaning that armrests and seat are manufactured separately, this is why legs and bases are also made of plastic. Finishes include various types of wood, colours and upholstery in either fabric or leather. The collection includes: Queenwood, Kingwood, Princewood and Princesswood.
- Who is it by? French iconic architect Philippe Starck, one of the top names on the international scene. Philippe Starck is best known for constantly pushing the boundaries of conventional design. After thirty years since the French designer first challenged the use of materials at Kartell, this what he says about this innovative collection: “After more than 30 years of research, we have finally created wooden seats that really express, thanks to the alliance with plastic, the true essence of wood”.
- We have chosen it because… It is inspired by nature (which instantly adds a soothing touch to any space) while predicting the future. This collection proves that wood and plastic is a perfect match that successfully combines innovation, craftsmanship and a world of emotions.