Alessi, child’s plate set Alessini - design Alessandro Mendini with Alex Mocika and Giovanna Molteni
olourful stripes, polka dots and one of the top designers of the moment: Alessandro Mendini. This alone should encourage us to update our plate set. And if we add the fact that the entire set was especially made for kids, we just have to sit down and take notice.
- What is it? Alessini by Alessi, is a new kids dinner set.
- What is special about it? It literately caters for kids needs. The dinner place has a non-spill design, the bowl holds practically anything from pasta to milk, the cutlery was especially designed to be hand-held by kids and the mug has an easy grip. So, every single piece focuses on function and ergonomic, yet without forgetting the fun part, one of Alessandro Medini’s key traits.
- How is it made? Alessini is a kids dinner set in patterned bone china, it includes: a dinner plate with a wide brim, a bowl that adapts to practically anything (from past to soup, from milk to yogurt), a mug with two handles, a round tray that doubles as a placemat and cutlery with rounded handles (the knife blade and the fork prongs are rounded for extra-safety). Alessini is available in two different styles: Proust and Con-centrici.
- Who is it by? One of the top contemporary designers, Alessandro Mendini certainly needs no introductions. The Italian architect, designer and artist, seamlessly moves from designing objects and furniture to installations, architecture and painting. Throughout the years, Alessandro Mendini has been a crucial member of several important movements such as “post-modern design” and “re-design”, as well as winning several Compasso d’Oro awards as well as other coveted international design awards. In Alessandro’s own words: “I don’t think of myself as a designer, it combines different activities, I’m messy”. With his unique, timeless style, he designs pieces with a soul, creating objects as he himself explains “they have to have a defect in order to be timeless, so we pay more attention to them and a sentimental bond is thus formed”.
- We have chosen it because… This dinner set is perfect for kids: bright, fun, ergonomic, playful. It’s a winner with the grownups too as it’s refined (in fine bone china), a real design-led product (the fact that it’s by Alessandro Mendini says it all) and it’s functional at the same time. This is a kids dinner set that never goes out of style, even on the most elegant tablescape.