ould a sheet of paper light-up your day? Of course, especially if it’s designed by Nendo, and with a little imagination it looks like a torch when rolled up...
- What is it? Paper Torch by Nendo is a torch made using an electronic sheet.
- What is special about it? Paper Torch resembles a simple sheet of paper, but if you roll it up it turns into a torch in full working order. What could be more simple and brilliant than this?
- How is it made? Paper Torch conceals a really special piece of technology by Aglc (a Japanese start-up that since 2014 has been designing and manufacturing electronic circuits), printed using silver ink. The type of paper used is called YUPO by Takeo and it’s also waterproof (also used for electoral ballots). Its innovative structure is formed by gluing together two button batteries and seven Leds with conductive adhesive: the light gets more intense as you tighten the sheet of the paper, lights also change colour according to which side you roll the sheet of paper on. You can also hang Paper Torch from the ceiling using a special ring bracket, and it can also be used as a table lamp.
- Who is it by? Oki Sato,better known as Nendo, is an internationally acclaimed designer. With simple aesthetics and a touch of whimsy, Nendo turns any idea into a functional object that will astound us no doubt.
- We have chosen it because… Nowadays, we’re inundated with hi-tech gadgets that end up filling our pockets, bags and rucksacks (and truthfully, most of the time we could really do without). However, Paper Torch is an incredibly brilliant and extremely useful idea: we've already put it in our list of ten most indispensable gadgets.