et’s take advantage of the time we can spend at the table to lay it as one should in the garden, terrace or even on a little balcony. In order to discover the latest in outdoor mise en place perfection, we went to see what an historic Italian design brand and one of the most theatrical international designers have to offer in 2020. It is a creative partnership that this year brings an already classic indoor tableware collection to the outdoors.
- What it is: Dressed en plein air by Alessi, an outdoor tableware set in the Dressed collection designed by the famous brand in Omegna on the Lake Orta on the 99th anniversary of its founding.
- What makes it special: Dressed en plein air weds the romantic flair of grandmother’s fine china set, which seemed to be made of lace, to the practicality of everyday life and environmental consciousness.
- How it is made: Made out of a resistant plastic material with relief decorations and scalloped edging, Dressed en plein air responds to the urgent need to eliminate single-use plastic. Made with a sustainable and recyclable material, its shades of warm grey bring an unconventional breath of fresh air to the table and create an elegant and informal atmosphere. Bowls, trays, black cutlery and transparent glasses and carafes complete the set.
- Whose idea it is: Dressed en plein air tables is a project by Marcel Wanders, the visionary and eclectic Dutch designer who never ceases to amaze. Art director and co-owner of Droog Design and Moooi, Marcel Wanders collaborates with the best Italian and international design brands. He has designed the Dressed, The five seasons and Circus collections for Alessi.
- We chose it because: You can already get from its name, which nonsensically mixes French and English (literally dressed in the open air), that Dressed en plein air is a mix between tradition and a contemporary spirit that would like to discretely be the star of the table. And while waiting to lay a lavish feast for all of those far from us at the moment, for now we can enjoy it together with our families in the garden or on the balcony.
CHECK OUT THE GALLERY: